Senior Scientist / Orbitrap Mass Spectrometry Expert
Get in on the Ground Floor of a Fully Funded, Innovative Drug Discovery StartUp!
This is an exciting opportunity to join a fully funded, venture-backed startup whose mission is to accelerate the discovery of lifesaving therapeutics.
You’ll be joining a company that is a contract research organization that provides analytical research services for drug discovery, specifically targeting the $300 billion antibody therapeutics market. We’ve reduced analysis time from the industry standard of 6-12 months to only 2-3 weeks and are completely changing the market!
Our patented, cutting-edge technology has significant advantages over the existing technologies available in the market today. We have an established pipeline of pharmaceutical customers including big pharma, clinical-stage biotechnology companies and research institutions. We have assembled a talented group of PhD-level scientists, including leading experts in biochemistry, who are passionate about revolutionizing drug discovery to improve patient outcomes.
What You’ll Do
Our Scientists at make an impact on day one. We are a fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization without the bureaucracy of a traditional life sciences business. As an early employee, you will collaborate with other top scientists to solve real-world customer problems to advance drug discovery. You will have the opportunity to shape the future direction of the organization and the potential to manage a team of scientists as the business grows.
Our founders developed a patented technology called Plasma Induced Modification of Biomolecules (“PLIMB”). PLIMB is a mass spectrometry-based technique for epitope mapping and protein structural analysis. Over the last 5 years, the NIH, NSF, WARF, and others have invested $1.4 million in PLIMB’s research and development, product development, and application testing. Our technology is customer-ready today and has been validated by pharmaceutical customers.
What You’ll Bring
· Minimum 4+ years of experience and strong expertise in LC-MS protein analysis
· Ph.D. in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, or related field
· Deep understanding and proven experience in LC-MS instrumentation and troubleshooting
· Experience in proteomic LC-MS method development and analysis
· Ability to work independently and collaborate with team members
· Ability to identify bottlenecks and unmet needs in analytical characterization workflows and develop solutions for customers
· Entrepreneurial mindset with interest in taking a leadership/management role
· Exceptional time and project management skills with the ability to own and manage multiple projects in a changing environment and meet timelines
· Excellent communication skills and ability to speak, present and write clearly and accurately
· Willingness to travel to conferences and customer site visits
Additional Ideal Skills
· Experience or understanding of the following techniques
oHydrogen/Deuterium Exchange (HDX):
oHydroxyl radical protein footprinting (HRF)
oChemical cross-linking mass spectrometry (XL-MS)
oSite-specific labeling MS
oGlycoprotein analysis with MS
oIn-silico structural modeling
oProtein expression and purification
oMembrane protein expression and purification
oProtein-protein interaction and in vitro binding assays
· Experience and/or familiarity with in-silico protein structural analysis and visualization.
· 2+ years of industry experience, especially in the field of antibody drug discovery/development
· Hands-on experience with Thermo Orbitrap technology
· Familiarity with Protein Metrics software
· Business experience and interest
· Demonstrated experience in developing strong customer relationships and project management
· Lab and instrument design and setup
· Develop and optimize HDX, HRF, XL-MS (and others as described above) experiments for the following applications:
oProtein-protein and protein-small molecule interactions
· Visualize complex proteomics datasets
· Technical presentations to clients and at conferences
· Manage customer projects
· Author scientific papers
· Write grant funding proposals
· Future potential of managing a team of analytical and biological chemists
This position is based in Madison, WI and includes a full relocation package for applicable candidates. Excellent compensation package includes salary, benefits package, stock options and performance bonuses (both cash and stock options).
If you’re looking to unleash your expertise and follow your dream of being on the ground floor of an amazing startup, contact us today!
Questions? Email Ginger Auchter directly at firstname.lastname@example.org