Carex is looking to hire a contract Backend (PHP) Software Engineer for a large partner. This role is remote, and does have the potential to go perm.
What you’ll do:
- Ensuring our backend systems provide a quality internationalization and localization experience by enhancing our multilingual support
- Delivering supporting data to assist our mobile engineering team on their journey to achieve Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) compliance and ensuring an equitable experience for all of our users
- Partnering with our Director of Engineering and Backend software architecture team to make core improvements to the backend code base including increasing unit & functional test coverage, transitioning utilizing new PHP language features, and solving performance bottlenecks
- Assist the team with solving exciting and challenging distributed systems problems to ensure our systems can serve billions of API requests per month
- Following our department standards for code quality, documentation procedures, code reviews and commitment to solving problems with engineering best practices.
What you’ll bring:
- 5 years of experience with distributed systems across multiple systems and teams
- Top-notch software engineering skills and relevant experience in designing and building performant backend systems
- Prior engineering experience, ideally utilizing PHP (8.0+ and Symfony), Ruby on Rails or Python, to build distributed backend systems
- Fluent in engineering best practices such as testability and object-oriented design with the ability to incorporate these into technical solutions
- Track record of contributing to product and business direction, collaboration across different teams, and delivering solutions that meet expectations and are pragmatic
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and the ability to convey information concisely to technical and non-technical stakeholders.